Wednesday, June 19, 2013

We finally meet, again! - 170/365

 It was a big day today!
A couple weeks ago, I FINALLY found out the name of the man that fell of his tractor, thanks to a lot of help from friends and family. 
His name turned out to be Mike and he lives right in Canfield. 
I ended up sending a gift card, some pictures and a letter explaining everything in a card right before we left for the Outer Banks. My mom did the same. When we got home, I was listening to the answering machine and there was a message from him, thanking me for everything. He said that he would be love to have visitors if I wanted to go. His voice really didn't sound like he was doing all that well, so I was a little nervous, but did really want to go!
Jim's mom was coming over today, to have some Reagan time, so my mom and I figured it would be a good day to go. He was right at a rehab in Austintown, so we stopped and got Maggie's Magic Muffins for him and headed over. 
We got there and found his room pretty easily. He didn't know we were coming, so I was a little nervous. We walked in and introduced ourselves. He said, "Oh, your the people who sent me these letters!"  He had everything we sent hanging on the wall by the television. It was so sweet! He was super nice and made us feel comfortable instantly. We all hit it off and had a wonderful conversation. 
 The nurse came in about 15 minutes after we got there and told him it was time for lunch. He asked her if we could come with him and us if we wanted to stay. We said "of course!" They ended up having a lovely screened in porch with some comfy patio furniture, so we hung out there while he ate.
He really was in wonderful spirits with everything he went through. He made quite a few jokes about the accident and just life in a rehab. He said, "Yea, it's ok here! Kinda like being on vacation!" I don't know about that...LOL!
The poor guy ended up with a broken pelvis, broken sternum and a broken NECK! It's a miracle he's alive and not paralyzed! He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, while there, he was in and out of ICU twice. He's been at the rehab ever since. He hopes to go home soon, but he really does have a long road ahead of him. They wont even think about sending him home until his sternum is fully healed and they aren't even willing to check that, until the end of this month.
He sounds like he has a wonderful family. He's got a wife and five kids, ages 18-24!
I'm just so thankful that he really is OK and I finally got to hear it straight from him. He had still been on my mind every day. It was such a horrible thing to witness.  It was good to see him sitting up with a smile after seeing him in so much pain, covered in dirt.
We hope to visit him again soon! He really was super, super nice!

Nothing really went on the rest of the day. I did some chores after Jim's mom left and Reagan napped. Jim, Reagan, Brinkley and I hit the 3 mile trail, when he got home from work. I had saw a macro picture of a single dandelion puff awhile ago on a photo sharing site. It was gorgeous and I immediately wanted to try it. Of course, I couldn't find any for weeks! Luckily, on our walk tonight, we found a few. I hoarded them from Reagan so I could give it a whirl with my macro lens. It came out pretty cool, but it's nothing like the one I saw. I have a lot of practicing to do! LOL!  That's about it!
All in all, good day! 
The photo of the day is me and my new friend, Mike! 
The next is my Dandelion puff....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment