Friday, January 11, 2013

On the Fritz - 11/365

Today, every free second that I had, went into trying to rescue picture files from an older external hard drive. I knew that it was older and I knew that it was getting to be time to clear it off and send it on it's way...but it was always "I'll get to it". We'll today "I got to it" and it was a frustrating nightmare. Most files seem to be saveable and thankfully I had some of them already backed up on discs, but transferring WAS SO SLOW and a few here and there had become corrupt. I know better than this and every photography blog, book and magazine preaches, "if you don't have your files in three places, you don't have them." Well it turns out, that could be true! I have recently signed up for Smugmug and I have been pretty good at backing up there but all my older files are very susceptible to damage. I think I have saved the majority of them and thankfully most pictures of my precious baby girl are safe. I have to admit, that going back four or five years was fun today when things were going well. I cherish all those memories and appreciate being able to look back and be right in that moment. It makes all the picture taking worth while.
 I leave you with my friends the computer and infamous hard drive.
 BACK UP your files, too!

1 comment:

  1. Really thankful that you are so "tech savvy!" The thought of losing EVEN ONE of those precious photos is frightening! Your "photo of the day" is great advice for everyone! BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP!!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete